Total Knee Replacement Surgery for Residents of the Louisville, KY, Area
Total knee replacement is among the specialties of Richard A. Sweet, M.D., a board-certified, fellowship-trained, and nationally renowned orthopedic surgeon here at Louisville Orthopaedic Clinic. Dr. Sweet is a pioneer in the field of joint replacement and has contributed valuable research and development efforts toward improving joint implants. If you live in the Louisville, Kentucky, area and are considering total knee replacement surgery, you can confidently trust your joint health to Dr. Sweet and the team at Louisville Orthopaedic Clinic.
Is Total Knee Replacement Surgery Right for Me?
Total knee replacement surgery is not right for everyone. Most surgeons, including Dr. Sweet, encourage patients to explore all conservative treatment options before considering surgery. However, knee replacement surgery may become a viable option if:
- Your knee joint is extensively damaged or deformed by injury or arthritis
- Other treatments such as injection therapies, physical therapy, medication, and less extensive surgeries have failed to improve your symptoms
- Your knee pain or stiffness is severe and impacts your quality of life
What Happens During Total Knee Replacement Surgery?
During total knee replacement surgery (also referred to as knee arthroplasty), damaged or worn components of the joint are removed and replaced with artificial joint implants (prostheses). These implants are engineered from metal or ceramic and are specially designed to help restore smooth, comfortable knee movement.
Here is a brief overview of the total knee replacement process:
- The damaged surfaces at the ends of the femur and tibia bones, which join to form the knee joint, are removed and replaced. A small amount of additional bone may also be removed to accommodate the implants.
- The backside of the patella (kneecap) is resurfaced and replaced with a smooth plastic surface, although this may not be necessary in all cases.
- A special plastic spacer is inserted between the femur and tibia implants to serve as a shock absorber and promote fluid joint movement.
The details of total knee replacement surgery will vary according to each patient’s unique case. However, knee replacement is widely recognized as a highly successful treatment that can provide significant relief from pain and stiffness. In fact, according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, nearly 800,000 knee replacement surgeries are performed every year in the United States.
Our Approach to Total Knee Replacement
Louisville Orthopaedic Clinic’s Dr. Sweet offers the latest advancements in total knee replacement surgery, including muscle-sparing techniques that help reduce disruption to healthy tissues and streamline the overall recovery process. He also collaborates with physical therapists and sports rehabilitation specialists on our team to maximize our patients’ results, helping them get back on the move as efficiently and safely as possible.
Life with less knee pain may be closer than you think. If you are interested in speaking with Dr. Sweet about total knee replacement and whether it is right for you, contact Louisville Orthopaedic Clinic today. Telehealth consultations are also available.