Schedule an Appointment
Louisville Orthopaedic Clinic
4130 Dutchmans Lane
Louisville, KY 40207
Northgate Medical Center
3605 Northgate Court
New Albany, IN 47150
Scott D. Kuiper, M.D.
Specializes in orthopaedic sports medicine and sports-related injuries.
Dr. Kuiper specializes in orthopaedic sports medicine and athletic-related injuries. He completed his fellowship training at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama, and has been involved in the care of professional, collegiate and high school athletes. He has published numerous research papers, abstracts, and book chapters, and has made numerous presentations relating to the advancement of arthroscopic surgery in sports medicine. He is also the team physician for St. Xavier High School and Sacred Heart Academy.
Dr. Kuiper earned his undergraduate degree at DePauw University and attended the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He completed his residency, as well as an Orthopaedic Research Fellowship at the University of California, San Diego. He then completed an Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship under the direction of Drs. James R. Andrews and William Clancey in Birmingham, Alabama. He is board certified in orthopaedic surgery, and is a member of many national, state and local medical societies.
4130 Dutchman's Lane
Louisville, KY 40207
Phone: (502) 897-1794
Fax: (502) 897-3852
3605 Northgate Court, Suite 207
New Albany, IN 47150
Parkway South High School St. Louis, MO 1976-1979
DePauw University Greencastle, IN B.S. (Magna cum Laude) 1979-1983
University of Louisville School of Medicine Louisville, KY M.D. (Magna cum Laude) 1983-1987
University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA (General Surgery) 1987-1988
University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA (Orthopaedic Surgery) 1988-1993
University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA (Orthopaedic Basic Science Research Fellowship) 1988-1989
American Sports Medicine Institute Birmingham, AL
Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship
Directors: James R. Andrews, M.D.
And William G. Clancy, M.D. 1993-1994
Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, (ABOS) 1996
Kentucky, License #30401 1994
Alabama, License #17254 1993
California, License #G064217 1988
Clinical Professor University of Louisville School of Medicine 1994 -
Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery present
Private practice, Orthopaedic Surgery, Louisville Orthopaedic Clinic, 1994 - Louisville, KY present
Baptist Hospital East
Norton Suburban Hospital
Veterans Administration Medical Center
University of Louisville Hospital
Physician's Medical Center (PMC)
TEAM PHYSICIAN / ORTHOPAEDIC CONSULTANT:
Spalding University 1999-
DuPont Manual High School 1995-
Sacred Heart Academy 1997-
Wagner High School 1998-2001
St. Patrick School 1998-
Saint Xavier High School ( Louisville Orthopedic Clinic)
Ballard High School ( Louisville Orthopedic Clinic)
Louisville Bulls Football Team 1999-2001
West Alabama University 1993-1994
Birmingham Barons AAA MLB (White Sox) 1993-1994
Birmingham Bulls Hockey Team 1993-1994
DePauw University Phi Beta Kappa 1983
Magna cum Laude 1983
Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society 1983
DePauw University Rector Honor Scholarship 1982
Psi Chi Psychology Honorary Society 1982
Academic Dean's List 1979 - 1983
University of Louisville School of Medicine Alpha Omega Honor Medical Society 1986
Magna cum Laude 1987
Merck Manual Award 1987
NATIONAL RESEARCH AWARD
3M Health Care "Excellence in Orthopaedic Research Award." Biomechanical Study of the Effect of Arthroscopic Acromioplasty on the Origin of the Deltoid Muscle. AOSSM, Toronto, Canada, June14-18, 1995
Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS) 1998
Fellow, American Orthopaedic Society 2000 For Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
Fellow, American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society 1994
Member, American Medical Association 1994
Member, Kentucky Medical Association 1994
Member, Louisville Orthopaedic Society
Member, Jefferson County Medical Association
Resident and Fellow's Arthroscopy Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 1995. (Arthroscopy Association of North America)
1. Amiel D, Kuiper SD and Akeson WH: "Cruciate Ligaments: Response to Injury." In: Knee Ligaments: Structure, Function, Injury and Repair. Chapter 19. Ed. by D. Daniel, W.H. Akeson and J. O'Connor, Raven Press, N.Y. 1990.
2. Amiel D and Kuiper SD : "Experimental Studies on Ligament Grafts: Chemical and Histologic." In: Knee Ligaments: Structure, Function, Injury and Repair. Chapter 20. Ed. by D. Daniel, W.H. Akeson and J. O'Connor, Raven Press, N.Y. 1990.
3. Kuiper SD and Clancy WG: "Posterior Cruciate Ligament." In: Diagnostic and Operative Arthroscopy . Chapter 29, Ed. by J.R. Andrews and L.A. Timmerman, 1995.
1. Amiel D, Kuiper SD, Wallace CD, Harwood FL, VandeBerg JS and Akeson WH: Age-Related Properties of the Medial Collateral Ligament and Anterior Cruciate Ligament: A Morphologic and Collagen Maturation Study in the Rabbit. J Gerontology: Biological Sciences, Vol. 46, No. 4, B159-165, 1991.
2. Gesink DS, Pacheco HO, Kuiper SD, Amiel D, Akeson WH, and Woods VL Jr: Immunohistochemical Localization of B1 Integrins in Anterior Cruciate and Medial Collateral Ligaments of Human and Rabbit. J. Ortho Res., Vol. 10, 596-599, 1992.
3. Pedowitz RA, Gershuni DH, Botte MJ, Kuiper SD, Rydevik BL and Hargens AR: The Use of Lower Tourniquet Inflation Pressures in Extremity Surgery Facilitated by Curved and Wide Tourniquets and an Integrated Cuff Inflation System. CORR, No. 287, 237-244, 1993.
4. von Schroeder H, Kuiper SD: Osseous Anatomy of the Scapula. Orthopedic Clinics of North America, 2001
1. Kuiper SD, Amiel D, Harwood, FL, Kitabayashi LR, VandeBerg JS and Akeson WH: Age-Related Properties of the Medial Collateral Ligament and Anterior Cruciate Ligament. A Morphological and Biochemical Study. Orthop Trans. 14(2): 491-492, 1990. Presented at the 36th Annual Meeting of the Ortho Res Society, New Orleans, Louisiana, February 5-8, 1990.
2. Amiel D, Kitabayashi LR, Kuiper SD and Akeson WH: Ultrastructural and Biochemical Differences of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL). Western Connective Tissue Soc., Albuquerque, New Mexico, April 6-9, 1989.
3. Amiel D, Kitabayashi LR, Kuiper SD, and Akeson WH: The Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL): Differences in their Ultrastructural and Biochemical Properties. Pan Pacific Connective Tissue Societies Symposium, Queensland, Australia, WSP-011-005, November, 1989.
4. Hart RA, Akeson WH, Kuiper SD, Wallace CD, VandeBerg JS and Amiel D: Age-Related Changes in Collagen Fibril Diameter Profiles in Rabbit Anterior Cruciate and Medial Collateral Ligaments. Western Connective Tissue Soc., San Diego, California, May 22-24, 1992.
5. Hart RA, Akeson WH, Kuiper SD, Wallace CD and Amiel D: Collagen Fibril Diameter Distributions in Rabbit Anterior Cruciate and Medial Collateral Ligaments as a Function of Age. 39th Annual Meeting, Orthopedic Research Society, San Francisco, California, February 15-18, 1993.
6. Craythorne B and Kuiper SD : Biomechanical Study of the Effect of Arthroscopic Acromioplasty on the Origin of the Deltoid Muscle. American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, Toronto, Canada, June 14-18, 1995
7. Kuiper SD, Sclafani M, Clancy WG Jr: Posterior Cruciate Ligament Insertion Site Anatomy and Implications for Surgical Reconstruction. Annual Meeting of Kentucky Orthopedic Society, Louisville, KY September 27, 1996
8. Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries in Sports, June 1, 1996 . Sports Medicine Symposium for Kentucky High School Athletic Association.
9. Kuiper SD: Autologous Chondrocyte Transplantation, November 14, 1997 . National Association of Orthopedic Nurses.
10. Kuiper SD: Autologous Chondrocyte Transplantation. Kentucky Physical Therapist Society Meeting, Louisville, KY, January 28, 1998 .
11. Kuiper SD: Shoulder Injuries in Athletes, June 6, 1998 . Sports Medicine Symposium for Kentucky High School Athletic Association
12. Kuiper SD: Posterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries, March 9, 1998 . Kentucky Orthopedic Rehabilitation Team Education Update.
13. Kuiper SD: Glenohumeral Instability and Labral Tears, September 28, 2001 . Kentucky Physical Therapy Association Annual Meeting
AAOS VIDEO PRESENTATIONS
Andrews JR, Kuiper SD. Open Capsular Shift for the Throwing Athlete. Video Presentation, AAOS 61 st Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 1994.
Andrews JR, Kuiper SD. Arthroscopically Assisted PCL Reconstruction. Video Presentation, AAOS 61 st Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 1994.
Andrews JR, Fleisig G, Kuiper SD. Biomechanics of the Elbow Joint During Pitching. Video Presentation, AAOS 61 st Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 1994.
Andrews JR, Sclafani MA, Kuiper SD. Arthroscopic ACL/PCL Reconstruction for the Dislocated Knee. Video Presentation, AAOS 61 st Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 1994.