Schedule an Appointment
Louisville Orthopaedic Clinic
4130 Dutchmans Lane
Louisville, KY 40207
Northgate Medical Center
3605 Northgate Court
New Albany, IN 47150
Aaron K. Compton, M.D.
Specializes in treating acute and chronic painful orthopaedic and spine conditions.
Dr. Compton is an interventional pain management specialist treating individuals with challenging orthopaedic and spine pain conditions. He is board certified in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology. He is also a member of several national and regional medical and pain specialty societies. He has authored several publications and presentations on topics of chronic pain. Prior to joining Louisville Orthopaedic Clinic, Dr. Compton served as Medical Director of the Pain Center at Schneck Medical Center in Seymour, Indiana for six years.
Dr. Compton was born and raised in Somerset, Kentucky. He earned his undergraduate degree at Murray State University, and his M.D. from the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He then completed his residency in Anesthesiology at the University of Louisville, receiving honors as the outstanding resident in Pain Medicine. He then completed his fellowship in Pain Medicine at University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio, as Chief Fellow.
Dr. Compton utilizes a multimodal treatment approach to managing pain, with goals of minimizing the need to rely on opioid pain medication (narcotics). He offers numerous minimally invasive procedural options, when appropriate, to restore your function and reduce your pain.
4130 Dutchman's Lane
Louisville, KY 40207
Phone: (502) 897-1794
Fax: (502) 897-3852
3605 Northgate Court, Suite 207
New Albany, IN 47150
May 2006 - Doctor of Medicine, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY
May 2002 - Bachelor of Science, Murray State University, Murray, KY. Summa cum laude
2010 - 2011: Fellow: University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
2006 - 2010: Resident: Department of Anesthesiology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATES
American Board of Anesthesiology, Specialty of Anesthesiology - Board Certified 2012
American Board of Anesthesiology, Subspecialty of Pain Medicine - Board Certified 2012
American Academy of Pain Medicine
American Medical Association
American Society of Anesthesiology
Indiana Society of Anesthesiologists
International Neuromodulation Society
Kentucky Medical Association
North American Neuromodulation Society
Minimally Invasive Pain Procedures
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
Spinal Cord Stimulation
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- Compton AK, Shah B, Hayek SM. Spinal cord stimulation: A review. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2012 Feb; 16(1): 35-42. doi: 10.1007/s11916-011-0238-7.
- Compton AK, Chelimsky TC. Complex regional pain syndrome. In: Lynn DJ, Newton HB, Rae-Grant AD, eds. The 5-Minute Neurology Consult (2nd ed). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012: 148-149.
- Hayek S, Compton A. Dorsal column stimulation: Correlating paresthesiae with stimulation level? Abstracts from the 10th World Congress of the International Neuromodulation Society: Spine. Neuromodulation. 2011; 14: 444-448.
- Spinal Cord Stimulation: An Effective Treatment for Small Fiber Neuropathy? Co-investigator of prospective randomized clinical trial at University Hospitals Case Medical Center. Principle investigator: Salim Hayek MD, PhD. 2011
- Compton AK, Jackson JM. Isotretinoin as a treatment for axillary granular parakeratosis. Cutis, 2007; 80: 55-56.
- Johns Hopkins University – Howard Hughes Memorial Research Grant – Edward G.
McFarland MD, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Division of Sports Medicine. A 10-week grant working with various faculty members in orthopaedics. 2001
- Murray State University, Edmund Zimmerer PhD, Department of Biology – Research and data collection on various projects in genetics. This consisted of numerous PCR runs, electrophoresis and computer DNA analysis. 1999-2002
PRESENTATIONS AND LECTURES
- Pain Management in the Opioid Dependent Patient. Schneck Medical Center. November 2013.
- A Clinical Overview of Pharmacogenomic Testing. Schneck Medical Center. July 2013.
- Headaches. An educational session for the public. Schneck Medical Center. July 2012.
- A Comprehensive Overview of Opioids. University Hospitals Case Medical Center. December 2010.